JOBY is always in search of curious individuals who think differently and are willing to break boundaries and disrupt convention. If you are razor sharp, enthusiastic, entrepreneurial and fanatical about the consumer experience, we’d love to hear from you. Drop us a line at email@example.com and let us know a little about what makes you tick and how you would contribute to JOBY.
About DayMen US, Inc. and its Worldwide Brands:
It is our passion and privilege to design and provide accessible, comfortable, protective and creative products for our customers. Our three brands cover a wide spectrum of high-quality options for photography, video, audio, laptop, lighting and cell phones.
The Joby brand was founded in 2005 with the introduction of the industry-defining and best-selling GorillaPod. Joby creates iconic, award-winning photo, mobile and lighting products that inspire the creative and active lifestyle.
The Lowepro brand of carrying solutions for professional photographers started with an inventive spirit in a small Colorado garage in 1967. Since then, our bags have been traveling the world, earning the loyalty and admiration of the best image makers, and setting the industry standard for inventive, purpose-built products.
The Acme Made brand, founded in 2002, is all about Designed Protection. Acme Made products have a distinctive look derived from clean, architectural styling and innovative high-tech materials to create design-forward products.
JOB TITLE: Jr. Product Designer [Daymen]
DEPARTMENT: Worldwide Product Management & Design
REPORTS TO: Director of Product Management & Design
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (Full Time)
PURPOSE OF JOB
Provide support to current Design staff while learning the LowePro and Acme Made design process. The Jr. Product Designer needs to bring energy and design talent to all the tasks involved in supporting the Design team in the development of new products. As important as strong design skills is a keen interest in learning the specific demands of creating cutting edge protective products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support Designers in the development of creative, aesthetic, innovative solutions to satisfy consumer needs and desires.
- Support the Design team in the creation of product specs and supporting documents and help manage the organization of product documentation.
- Learn to design cutting edge protective products that can be efficiently manufactured.
- Work with Designers in a team environment to create and maintain a cohesive look to the product line through aesthetic design, fabric selection and/or hard- ware details.
- Track new trends in technology, fashion, color, and competition research.
- Aid in the collection and organization of materials, hardware, technology research, and sourcing support.
- Create two and three dimensional descriptions of sewn products.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to achieve positive results.
- Ability to effectively process feedback, respond to daily requests for information, and solicit information from others as needed.
- Ability to balance workload and priorities based on timeline requirements and key milestone objectives.
- Have a strong bias for details.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency in 2D software (eg. Illustrator, Photoshop, Painter or similar, In Design).
- Proficient in MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel, Internet and E-mail software
- Excellent sketching and visualizing skills.
- Experience in 3D CAD modeling and rendering (eg. Rhino, Alias, ProE, Catia or similar) a plus.
- Sewn goods experience desirable.
- Experience working cross-culturally.
- Knowledge and interest in photography is a big plus.
Education and/or Experience
- B.F.A. or B.S. degree required in Industrial or Fashion Design; or four years related experience and/or training.
- Demonstrated ability to support the design of finished products utilizing cut and sew styling abilities, knowledge of fabrics, trims and notions/hardware. Knowledge of manufacturing process.
There are no supervisory responsibilities for this position.
Some travel, international and domestic, may be required; not to exceed > 5%.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently required to move about the office; use hands to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision depth perception and ability to require focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.