Gorillamobile for iPhone 4 is Here! Your phone enhanced

Comments (31)
By JOBY Inc on

After months of not knowing exactly what to do with your iPhone 4, we have finally come up with the perfect solution for you. Yes, you may have thought it was cool already with its digital zoom, multiple cameras, retina display  and the works  – but, you are about to watch it get that much better. Enter the GorillaMobile for iPhone 4. At JOBY, we love photography/videography and realized that if we were able to truly unlock the power of the phone for that purpose, we would be well on our way to creating the perfect product for the iPhone 4.  This new, super durable bumper case adds virtually no weight or size to your phone. You can easily slip it into your pocket when you’re on-the-go, and be ready for the inevitable moment of dropsy that will occur in the course of your week.

The sleek case has a rail system which allows it to easily slide on and off – in both portrait and landscape mode. While, the flexible, bendable tripod legs enable you to find the perfect position for FacetTiming, timelapse videos or just taking pictures in low light situations. So, all you iPhone 4 users, go forth and take tons of pictures, videos, …and other things.

25 Comments

1. Anonymous
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Will the case work with Gorilla mobile for iphone 3G/3GS tripods? If so, are you planning on selling just the bumper case?

2. Posted November 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Ditto. I already own a Gorillapod and want to use it with my iPhone 4, will you be selling the case & clip separate?

3. Anonymous
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

The GorillaMobile for iPhone 4 does not work with the GorillaMobile 3G/3Gs tripod because of the way the rail attachment is designed. It does come with an adapter clip which allows the tripod to also be used with point and shoot cameras.

4. Posted November 9, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Great product but I’m very frustrated because I already bought a Gorillapod for my point & shoot and was looking forward to getting an adapter clip & case for my iPhone 4 when it came out. Now that its out the only option I have is to essentially repurchase the tripod I already own just to get the case & clip for the iPhone 4!

You really need to sell the iPhone 4 case & adapter clip separate just like you did for the 3G/3GS for people who already have bought a Gorillapod and want to use it. I have no use for 2 of these things.

5. Posted November 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Really disappointed that there’s no backward compatibility – it really leaves a bad taste in the mouthes of those of us who purchased your last case for the 3GS. I have two small Joby tripods now that are basically useless.

If this was a spectacular step forward, I could see investing in another one, but I’m not too keen on the case itself, modeled after Apple’s lame bumpers. As we all know, the back of the phone is glass, so leaving it exposed is ill advised. I’d like to have more protection in my case. The 3GS case was very low profile, offering minimal protection to the front of the device, but the back was at least protected from scratches.

I’m hoping that this new rail head design will accomodate other cases from Speck and others that will offer more protection.

This product is a pretty big disappointment after waiting so long for it to come to market. I hope Apple doesn’t change the design of their next phone again.

6. Hugo
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Agreed with previous posts…not cool that I can’t use the previous Joby tripod I already have.

7. Posted November 9, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Thinking of getting a Glif to use with existing Joby tripods – http://theglif.com/
    I was going to buy the new Joby case if it was like the one for the 3GS, but this is really nothing to write home about. I’d rather take my phone out of its existing case when I need to shoot on a tripod than subject it to risk by leaving it this bumper case full time. Pity.

8. Katharine
    Posted November 11, 2010 at 8:40 am | Permalink

This website is terrific. The videos made it so clear what the products can do. Very easy to read and traverse through the site.

9. Anonymous
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Just received mine in the post and the case keeps toggling the sleep / wake button.

Very annoying! Will be contact customer services.

10. Anonymous
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Can you explain what is happening a bit more? What exactly is toggling the sleep/wake button? The rail system should be mounted only on the sides where the indent is, so the rail should not be going over the button. Is your button compressed somehow?

Thanks for the clarification!

Eileen

11. Anonymous
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Hi Eileen,

The sleep / wake button is covered by the button on the case which is included with the Gorillapod. Unforunately, the case seems very tight and the slightest movement (ie turning the phone over in my hand) means the button on the case compresses the phones button.

Hope that makes sense.

12. Anonymous
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

It does. Please do contact customer service and we will get you a new one.

Thanks!

13. Anonymous
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks Eileen,

I have sent a note to info@joby.com with the following subject: iPhone 4 case problem

Tim

14. Posted November 15, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Just received my Gorillamobile for iPhone 4 last week. On my first attempt to install the case, it revealed a problem. My iPhone 4 is already “protected” by Gelaskins (http://gelaskins.com/store/skins/phones/iPhone_4), with the front (partial), side and back completely covered. I also have a static-based Screen Protector from Gelaskins on my iPhone 4’s screen. When i tried to fit my iPhone 4 into the Gorillamobile case, the case would lift up the sides of the Gelaskin and the screen protector, no matter i careful i was. If i want to use Gorillamobile for iPhone 4, i will lose the screen protection. Needless to say, i was quite disappointed.

So if you are using any screen protector like the one from Gelaskins, you may have problem using Gorillamobile for iPhone 4.

15. Anonymous
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Eileen,

I’m afraid i still haven’t had a response from my email.
    Should i be emailing someone else?

Thanks,
    Tim

16. Anonymous
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Hi Tim,

I am sorry to hear that you haven’t heard from customer service. I have followed up with your request. In the meantime, can you double check your spam folder to make sure it didn’t accidentally get misdirected

Thanks!

17. Dave B
    Posted November 20, 2010 at 12:08 am | Permalink

I have receieved my iPhone 4 case and am quite happy with it! It is my first experience with your tripod, and it is a brilliant piece of engineering! No problem with my power button, but it did not work with my existng screen protector. Do you know of a screen protector that will fit within the case frame? Also, do you know when the Gorillacam app will be updated for the iPhone 4 to include tap to focus? Thanks!

18. Posted November 20, 2010 at 12:24 am | Permalink

I would like to know too if there is a screen protector (not those crappy InvisibleSHIELD from ZAGG) that works with the Gorillamobile for iPhone 4 case.

19. Paul
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 3:42 am | Permalink

I like the new case and tripod (brilliant solution) but I have two problems-
    (the most major one) the opening for headphone jack is not wide enough to accommodate audio cords for aux input on receivers, etc. It works for the earbuds, but not if there is a fat plastic molding for a third-party plug.
    Also- the plastic on the bumper case is too slick and slippery. It would be better if it had a more rubberized grip surface. I fear I will drop my phone some day.
    Joby- any fix in store for these issues?

20. ffair
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Was really excited for the Iphone4 case to come out but now that I’ve read the reviews will be hesitant to purchase. The case should be sold separately from the tripod (as many people, including myself, already own a Gorrilapod) and the case itself should accommodate some sort of screen and body protection (such as Gellaskin) given the cases open construction. Will purchase only when updated/improved option available.

21. Paul
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I found a somewhat crude solution to the slippery surface. I roughed up the sides of the case with a course metal file using a criss-cross motion. It’s not very pretty but it’s a LOT easier to hold on to!

22. Animationian
    Posted December 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

I’m having the same problem with my case. The unlock button cover doesn’t reach fat enough, causing the end to constantly press the button down.

23. Drew
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Bought the Gorillamobile for iPhone4 and it while it installed fine, it busted my screen protector really bad. Wish I had read the comments here before I bought it.

24. Studio2
    Posted May 15, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I agree – I have an original tripod for iPhone 3 and don’t want to buy a complete new kit.
    Make an adapter Joby!

25. Emily
    Posted May 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your feedback! We’re working on it! Stay tuned!

6 Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Joby, Inc., Sterling Zumbrunn. Sterling Zumbrunn said: RT @jobyinc: Gorillamobile for iPhone 4 is @jobyinc! Your phone enhanced http://bit.ly/9M1d7D [...]

2. [...] via Joby.com [...]

3. [...] Joby.com Posted in iPhone Tags: com, Fiddle, Gartner, gorillamobile, grand theft auto, GTA, Handschlag, [...]

4. [...] Gorillamobile tripod for iPhone 4 by Joby is super tough. You think that you are going to break it. However, it is tougher than you think. [...]

5. By com.pl on March 29, 2013 at 11:49 am

com.pl…

Gorillamobile for iPhone 4 is Here! Your phone enhanced – Joby Blog…

6. By desarrollo web on March 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm

desarrollo web…

Gorillamobile for iPhone 4 is Here! Your phone enhanced – Joby Blog…